HAWAII – Disaster Unemployment Assistance Available, Deadline September 25
Individuals and businesses in Maui County impacted by the wildfires are now eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) benefits. Applications must be received by September 25, 2023.
DUA, which is an unemployment insurance benefit made available after a disaster, is only available to individuals who:
• Have applied for and used all regular unemployment benefits from any state, or do not qualify for unemployment benefits.
• Worked or were self-employed or scheduled to begin work or self-employment in the disaster area.
• Can no longer work or perform services because of physical damage or destruction to the place of employment as a direct result of the disaster.
• Establish that the work or self-employment they can no longer perform was their primary source of income.
• Cannot perform work or self-employment because of an injury as a direct result of the disaster.
• Became the breadwinner or major support of a household because of the death of the head of household.
All individuals should file an unemployment insurance claim as soon as possible at https://huiclaims.hawaii.gov/#/. Individuals can also apply at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa Monarchy Ballroom (200 Nohea Kai Dr., Lāhainā, HI 96761) and/or receive additional assistance at the Maui Claims Office (54 South High St. Rm. 201, Wailuku, HI 96793) or the American Job Center (110 Alaʻihi St. #209, Kahului, HI 96732).
After initial filing, claimants must file weekly claim forms, which must be postmarked or received within seven days of the week claimed ending date. Additional information on weekly claims forms is available at https://labor.hawaii.gov/ui/ui-forms/.
Again, the deadline to submit a claim for DUA is September 25, 2023. Applications submitted after that date will be considered untimely unless the individual provides good cause for filing after the deadline.
IOWA – 2024 Tax Rates Remain at Lowest Possible Level
Governor Kim Reynolds announced earlier this week that the rate tables used to calculate the 2024 Unemployment Tax Rates will remain at Table 8, the lowest possible tax rate table. Iowa typically issues the updated tax rate in November of each year and Thomas & Company will verify these rates for accuracy and send them to our clients as soon as they are received.