TWC (Texas Workforce Commission): Workers whose jobs were impacted by the recent storms and flooding in Hidalgo and Cameron Counties may be eligible for federal funding with Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA). A Presidential Disaster Declaration (FEMA-4377-DR) was made on the sixth of July and states unemployment insurance benefits if the following applies to you:
- Have applied for and used all regular unemployment benefits from any state, or do not qualify for unemployment benefits
- Worked or were self-employed or were scheduled to begin work or self- employment in the disaster area
- Can no longer work or perform services because of physical damage or destruction to the place of employment as a direct result of the disaster
- Establish that the work or self-employment they can no longer perform was their primary source of income
- Cannot perform work or self-employment because of an injury as a direct result of the disaster
Became the breadwinner or major support of a household because of the death of the head of household
Please note the following:
Those affected may apply for benefits online, or by calling 800-939-6631 (M-F; 8-5).
Application deadline: August 10, 2018
The following documentation is required:
- Social Security number
- Copy of the most recent federal income tax form
- Documentation to support that you were working or self-employed when the disaster occurred (check stubs, etc.)
All required documentation must be submitted within 21 days from the date you apply.
Documentation needs to be mailed to:
Texas Workforce Commission
UI Support Services Department, Attn: DUA
101 East 15th Street
Austin, TX, 78778-0001
Alternatively, you may fax your documents to: 512-936-3250.
More information can be found on the Texas Workforce Commission website.
Please visit WorkinTexas.com for job search assistance.