Following the destruction of Hurricane Florence, Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) has been announced in the following South Carolina counties: Dillon, Horry, Marion, and Marlboro. The deadline to apply for benefits in these counties is October 24, 2018. Documentation of proof of lost income due to the storm may be required during the application process.
The following workers or business owners may be eligible for benefits:
- Individuals who are unemployed due to the disaster, and do not qualify for regular unemployment insurance benefits.
- Self-employed individuals and small business owners who lost income due to the disaster.
- Individuals who were prevented from working due to an injury caused by the disaster.
- Individuals who have become the major supplier of household income due to the disaster-related death of the previous major supplier of household income.
- Individuals who are unable to reach their jobs or self-employment locations because they must travel through the affected area and are prevented from doing so by the disaster.
- Individuals who were to commence employment or self-employment but were prevented from doing so by the disaster.
Those eligible for benefits may apply through the unemployment insurance (UI) benefits system by logging into MyBenefits at the top right corner of the DEW website: www.dew.sc.gov
Help is available by calling 1-866-831-1724.
The program will be continually updated at www.dew.sc.gov/dua