Alaskans unable to work as a direct result of the November earthquake may be eligible for Disaster Unemployment Benefits.
The Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development has issued the following requirements for eligibility:
- Have exhausted entitlement to regular unemployment insurance benefits.
- Worked or were self-employed or were scheduled to begin work or self-employment in an area covered by the disaster declaration.
- Became unemployed or unable to work as a direct result of the disaster.
- Are unable to reach their place of business as a direct result of the disaster.
- Cannot work due to an injury caused by the disaster.
- Have become the major support of the household due to a death directly related to the disaster.
The time period for assistance covers up to 35 weeks from December 2nd of last year. A weekly amount up to $370 may be claimed.
Contact: Call 888-252-2557 to apply for benefits M-F (10am-3pm)
Deadline: March 14, 2019
Be prepared to provide your social security number. You may also need to show dates most recently worked as well as the contact information of that employer. Those that are self-employed can provide documents that display earnings from being self-employed.
For more information, visit