The CARES Act:
The Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED) announced that they received final guidance from the Department of Labor (DOL) to be one of the first states to make $600 additional compensation payments available to individuals receiving unemployment benefits. All individuals who are currently receiving benefits will qualify for the $600 additional and will continue to receive their regular benefits as well. Please be aware of the following details regarding the $600 payments:
- The first week for the additional $600 is the week beginning March 29, 2020.
- The week of March 29 on or after April 5 can be requested for the additional $600 payment. If it was already requested for that week, the $600 payment will be automatically issued.
- There is no need to contact DEED or do anything to receive the additional $600. DEED will automatically process the additional $600 payment after the request benefits for the week of March 29 (and every week after that an individual is eligible).
- The additional $600 payment will not appear on the online unemployment account. The additional $600 payment will only appear on a bank account or unemployment debit card statement.
- All payments may take a few days to reach a bank account and/or debit card.
Many businesses that provide essential services (like health care, food, supplies and transportation) are currently hiring employees. Some open jobs may be temporary during COVID-19, but many may be permanent and, particularly in the healthcare industry, can serve as an entry position to higher-paying careers.
If needed, CareerForce can help with job searches. CareerForce offers virtual and interactive services, including virtual workshops, videos, and other online resources. Individuals can connect by phone or email with staff at their nearest CareerForce location and receive personalized assistance with interviewing, resume writing, and other job search resources. To search and find current Minnesota job postings, visit the CareerForce job search page: https://www.careerforcemn.com/job-search.
Our office will monitor COVID-19 updates closely and will send out additional announcements as we become aware of any updates. You can also review these updates on our website at https://www.thomas-and-company.com/covid-19/ too.
Please reach out to your representative with any questions.